Saturday, October 31, 2009

Chicken Little goes trick-or-treating

Never did I think I would buy a chicken costume for my 2-year-old. But Noah has fallen head-over-heels in love with the Disney Movie (and classic children's story), "Chicken Little."


The problem, however, was finding a genuine "Chicken Little" costume. The movie came out in 2005, so Little costumes aren't exactly in demand these days. So, we had to get a little creative.

We found a toddler chicken costume online, and bought that. Then I bought a green shirt and brown shorts a few sizes big so they'd fit over the fluffy feathers of the costume. David later rounded up a pair of glasses to complete the look.

And there we had it: Chicken Little, McCallen style.


Earlier this week, the weather forecast looked pretty glum for Friday & Saturday nights (Mount Vernon's Beggar's Night was scheduled for Saturday), so Thursday, with 65-degree clear skies over us, we drove 10 minutes down the road to Utica to take part in their candy fest.

(Notice the toolbox in the picture below... our last-minute solution for forgetting the treat bag.)


Noah pulled out his usual shy card for the first house we came to, until he realized that this stranger was giving him delicious candy (sounds a bit wrong, doesn't it?!). At the house just up the block, he literally popped a squat with a woman sporting her Halloween spirit while he debated which color of Play-Doh he wanted to take from her... along with a sucker treat or two.


He did pretty well this year, walking/riding on David's shoulders for about 20 houses before telling us he was ready to go back to the car.

I had to laugh, though. This year we went to four times the number of houses as we did last year, and we netted about 1/3 of the candy. Must be that recession applies to Halloween too!

2 comments:

Jen said...

OMG! How precious does he look! I love it!!!

JWilson said...

I love the costume so cute!