Friday, October 30, 2009

Meet ghostie, "Happy Halloween," raccoon and witch

Christmas is not my favorite holiday (it's a close second). Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day and New Year's aren't either. The holiday I enjoy the most is Halloween.

I think it's the combination of cool, breezy fall air combined with spooky movies/decor and giant bags of chocolate that win me over each year.

I'm ashamed to say that this year (again!) I never got around to pulling out my boxes of witches and spider webs, but that doesn't mean my heart isn't into the season any less.

We did manage to get our pumpkins carved this week, an event at the top of my Halloween Fun list. What really surprised me was Noah's ho-hum interest. Last year , all 16 months of him wanted IN those pumpkins. This year, he wanted to dig out the guts, and he had a genuine interest in those little safety saws. But after a while, Monsters Inc. was more appealing.



So, Noah perched on the couch while I applied carving patterns to three pumpkins and David free-handed the fourth. Noah chose a witch, I picked out a ghost and a raccoon, and David wrote out a festive "Happy Halloween" and bat in flight (most impressively, I might add... I have no natural artistic talent to carve without lines).

In no time at all, we had jack-o-lanterns to share with our wildlife friends (the only people who regularly see our house). Noah asked me to "turn them on," so I obliged with some tea lights and VOILA!



Little man was very concerned the next morning when he came into the living room and saw that the pumpkins were "off." Now it's my responsibility to turn them back "on" every night!

1 comment:

JWilson said...

My kids react the same way to carving the pumpkins, they pick the goo out and tell me what they want on it but then they disappear until time to light them.

Yours look great as always.