Sunday, April 12, 2009

Perhaps we got a bit too ambitious...


...because coloring eggs for Easter with an almost-two-year-old is the not the most relaxing way to spend a half hour.

In fact, I think David and I nearly lost our marbles several times on Saturday morning as we ambitiously filled 11 containers with water, vinegar and dye, and boiled more than a dozen eggs for coloring. We unloaded the contents of two egg kits—one camouflage and one basic 5-dye—and we got down to business.


We had dreams: quirky, messy eggs made at the hands of a toddler, and vibrant, creative eggs made at the hands of folks who pass as adults. Two major things counted against us: Noah's persistence in getting what he wants (look at that reach!) and his speed. That dude is QUICK!


As expected, there was a mess. At one point a cup of green dye did slosh across the table, but just one! I think that's par for the course.

Stickers, on the other hand, were popular all around—they were dry, dye-free, and it didn't matter if you stuck them on upside-down. They looked cute no matter what.


In the end, we all survived, Noah delighted at his green- and blue-stained fingers, Mom & Dad delighted that it was all over. And though I absolutely love to color eggs, I'm secretly glad that this is one tradition that won't come back around for another 364 days. Whew.

4 comments:

MissRebecca said...

We did that too today! We had a bit more of a mess.... and Cassie kept licking the Eggs and the decided to crack one open and through the boiled contents where ever :P Noah looks like he had a ball and adorable as always.... we are brave girls huh!!!

We have some fun looking blue marks on the counter.... hahahaha

Jen said...

This was the first year that coloring eggs was purely fun for me. Evan was old enough not to spill! Pictures are cute. . .

JWilson said...

I lvoe to dye eggs but not with litte ones around. I only buy the cheap basic colors and we get it over with as quick as possible. I am hoping in a few years mine will be old enough for us to actually enjoy this Easter craft. :))

Gamma said...

At least you made the attempt tif...i sure didn't and I commend you on that! the pics are cute though!