Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Things that go buzz in the day

I'm bitter. I just got stung AGAIN. It hasn't even been 48 hours since the last angry wasp plunged its stinger into my unsuspecting skin. This time I wasn't sleeping, at least, but I was still surprised.

I was gathering up clothes to wash a dark load of laundry. David had two pairs of pants on our bedroom floor, both with one leg inside out. Being the good wife, I picked up the first pair—jeans—and started to turn the errant leg flap to its rightful position. I reached in and felt another hot, searing pinch, this time on the palm of my right hand near my thumb.

Yelping—loud and amazingly curse-free—ensued. Noah was down the hallway, and he immediately became concerned. "Mama? Mama??!"

I sighed, told him I was fine, and dug out a bag of frozen vegetables out of the freezer to nurse my wound.

Now I'm just bitter. I called David and told him that he'd be spending this new extended daylight seeking out wasp entry points. I'm tired of being stung! Until I turned 30, I'd been stung three times that I can recall. Seems I'm on quite the streak now.

There is still a silver lining: it definitely appears I'm not allergic, and the stings don't hurt nearly as much as I remember. Well... the first five minutes aren't great, but it goes away fast. I'm guessing that childbirth has tempered my memory—and my pain index—quite a bit. Regardless, two stings in 48 hours? That's enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, that SUCKS, wasp stings kill. Oh I am so sorry, yep, get D on the wasp watch and get those suckers out of there.
Love you sweetie,
em

Shauna said...

Call the exterminator! Get RAID! Kill those mother truckers!!! That is soooooooooooo not okay!!!

JWilson said...

You poor thing! That is just crazy I hope David finds how they are getting in so you can put a stop to things.

Lindsay said...

Are you kidding me??? That is just insane. I've been stung a lot but never by a wasp....ouch! Get David on that asap! I hope you figure out where they are coming from so you can live in your house comfortably!

Jen said...

Wasps and spiders. My boys are never coming! haha

Good luck getting rid of them.