Every day I look forward to the 1/3-page report sheets I created for Noah's babysitter to fill out. They detail the mundane and interesting about his day, from what he ate, to how many diapers she changed, to the fun activities they did that day.
The report also has a spot for "Any issues?" and "Overall Mood?" From the time Noah was seven months old (when he started at his first sitter) until now, he's never had ANY "issues" per se. Usually, the reports glow with phrases like "So happy!" or "Noah told me he loved me three times today" or other sentiments that warm a person's heart.
And then on Thursday, I showed up to an excited Noah but with this report from the sitter:
"For the past 2 weeks, Noah has been wrestling, pushing, hitting & bopping with objects, but usually playful. That sometimes goes wrong, but today there was quite a bit of pushing, hitting and slapping and kicking."
Oh geez! That was the first I had heard of any unacceptable behavior. I mean, slapping...really?
So over the weekend I wrote up a long list of the discipline tactics we use at home, because I really, really don't let him push or hit without correcting him in some way (the wrestling is out of my hands... he and daddy have wrestled since Noah was born). I sent the note with David on Monday in the hopes that Miss Tracie use some of our standard techniques to correct the problem.
Monday's report confirms that, so far, it's not helping: "He was doing a lot more pushing and some hitting with toys. He used the soft climbing toys as punching bags a little more and actually said 'bop' as he did it. I was using that as a nice word last week as he was using them to hit people with."
Hmm... what to think about all this? As I look at Noah, I think of some of his favorite "boy" things to do:
- Wrestle with Daddy and his cousins (and anyone else who will get down on the ground with him)
- Use his "bop" bag at home—an inflatable Spiderman punching bag his cousin got him for Christmas (since put away since he got "outed" by the sitter)
- "Hammer" anything—any object in our house is a hammer, and he hammers it everywhere I allow him (although never on people)
So I'm asking you other mommies & daddies out there who have gone through this: what to do?


6 comments:
Mason is also all boy and very destructive at times but I would agree that you don't want to take away the normal boy activities that they enjoy. Boys will be boys.
I guess my opinion would be to try and talk to him to be sure he doesn't hit other people or animals. As long as he is not hitting other kids what is wrong with a little wrestling or rough play?? Also try to tell him that wrestling is only done with Daddy. You can't take that away from him. That is his buddy! Sorry I don't have more. :(
I will answer you in a few, Charlie and Austin are wrestling...
Let me think ;)
You might want to consider having David not wrestle with him as much. I'm not sure he will understand just you telling him he can't wrestle at his age but if you slow down the amount of it's that done and he calms down at he sitters it might help.
It also sounds like he needs the time outs if he hits or pushes one of the other kids. That has always worked with mine. Now it did take a few times.
I wouldn't worry about all of this though because it's part of being a mom to a boy or a girl. Both of mine went thur phases where they bite the other kids but it will pass and Noah will be jsut fine! :)
That is the least of my worries, we can't get Camey to slee in the crib, it is swing or nothing! Any ideas there?
I'm not a mommy, but I agree that he should be able to let out his boyish urges and rough house at APPROPRIATE times, like with Daddy. I applaud your encouragement to use stuffed things and soft surfaces. I also respect the babysitters desire to keep everyone safe and happy. So I would say limit it, monitor it, and continue to discuss with Noah the appropriate times and objects he can be rough with. You're a great mom and he's a great kid. :) This is just a phase. :)
Seriously? Three boys- They wrestle all the time. I am sure Noah will figure it out, too. I know that you have talked to him about when to act like that. I don't think you need to change a thing. Keep being the awesome mom that you are. . .
Post a Comment