Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Honey Run Falls

My brother, Jeff, thought we'd taken a trip to an exotic location when I sent him this picture via text message a few weeks ago. It is gorgeous, no?

 

This is Honey Run Falls in Knox County, less than a half-hour drive from our house. I stumbled across this little gem initially when I looked up Knox County park info. I'm always scoping out free things to do—playgrounds, parks, beaches, etc. But a paragraph about Honey Run Falls instantly caught my eye. A waterfall? Here in little Knox County, Ohio? It seemed unlikely, and I forgot all about it.

But then a few weeks ago when a monsoon hit Central Ohio, the local paper ran a photo of Honey Run Falls in all its full-flowing glory. I was intrigued.

So on a lazy Sunday a few weeks ago, I suggested to David and Noah that we go explore the falls. 

When we arrived, you could hear the roar of rushing water as soon as you stepped foot out the car. A short mulch path leads right up to the slippery rocks, taking you as close to the action as you'd like. David and Noah took this notion to heart, reaching out and touching the cascading water.

 

I didn't get quite that close; the algae under my feet made me a little nervous. But my hesitancy didn't get in the way of this picturesque shot.

 

We also explored the creek around the falls. It was beautiful, no matter which way you looked.



If you were an avid rock climber, this area would hold your attention for a morning. We stuck with the lower ledges.


Smiles all around...


I love this picture of Noah on this old, fallen log. Makes him look little again.

No comments: