Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fostering his blue period

I joke frequently that Noah's in a "blue period," but it's certainly not because he's depressed. Our little man likes loves all hues of blue. Royal, navy, cornsilk, sky, robin egg, turquoise, light, dark, blue

He applies this obsession to everything. Ice cream at the parlor? Superman blue. Lollipop treats? Blue raspberry, of course. Shirts? Blue, blue and blue.
It was no surprise, then, that when we went to his preschool's spring art show that all of Noah's contributions were, well, blue.

There was this delicate, bubble-blown blue piece...


And this dramatic, marble-on-paper blue piece...



And this striking blue and green bubble-wrap-on-paper piece (really shocked to see the green!).


I'm quite certain blue was not an available color when he did this clay fossil piece. And he never mentioned this project, so it was a pleasant surprise.


The artist grins under his painting.
 

His preschool puts out a big hunk of paper for the kids to doodle on after they enjoy the obligatory school-function cookie. Noah may have used more than his share of space, looping sweeping orbs of—yep, you know it—blue that spanned his arm length.


Under his scribbles, we convinced him to sign his name. Can you see it here? I added an interpretation in case you just can't make it out.


I keep waiting for him to segue into another favorite color phase, much like he's doing with Buzz Lightyear to Spiderman right now. But as I typed this I checked in with him.

Me: Noah, what's your favorite color?

Noah: (the suspense is killing you, I know)... BLUE!

No comments: