Thursday, September 17, 2009

Letter to Duncan

I've written about Duncan Arthur before, but it may help to read this if you don't know his story.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Duncan,

Even though we didn't get the chance to know each other, I think about you often. In the quietest moments, your memory will softly wind its way into my thoughts.

At 6:30 a.m. on the day of Noah's 2nd birthday party, as I trimmed fresh red strawberries I wondered if you were running around in heaven on your adorably chubby toddler legs. I was sure your mom was planning or preparing her own celebration for your spunky twin brother, Jackson, and I hoped her heart was light on this day that I knew she would be missing you fiercely (as I know she does every day).

Many times I find my mind wandering to you as I rock Noah at night. When I let him linger in laughter long past bedtime, in your own way you remind me to cherish that moment and tickle Noah just a few minutes more.

Your mom does a marvelous job of honoring you in her writing. I love the way she paints pictures of you—both the tiny baby you were before you left us and the little man you are in a place far more beautiful than where we are. Her strength reminds me of how lucky you were to be her son, and how every mom is blessed with the most wonderful, indescribably amazing gift—our treasured children.

So this year in August, I again walked alongside some of my favorite women (and people who admire your mom and dad and brothers very much) to help other people remember your life and to raise awareness of the disease that took you far too soon.

I like to imagine you smiling at our multitude of strollers and roomy t-shirts with your name emblazoned within a heart right above the space where our own hearts beat for your family that day. And it wouldn't surprise me if your beautiful spirit joined with the dozens of other children who giddily bounced and bumped and rolled in the inflatable bounce house at the end of the walk.

Duncan, you are loved and you are missed. But this walk, which we will continue to do every year in your memory, is just one of the ways your light continues to shine so brightly in this world.

—Tiffany

P.S. I can't resist sharing some pictures from the joy we experienced as we walked in your honor.

The masses

On our way! And Em mid-pose.

Olivia & Savannah sport celebrity looks

Jess, Taylor & Helene take five after our loop

Noah takes a load off in his stroller

Austin & Em shake their groove things

Helene & Dree

Lisa Hall's family joined us this year!


The infamous bounce house (Cassie, Noah & Kaiya loving it!)

1 comment:

Randy Ebert said...

Thank you for sharing this, Tif.