It's official: we're goers/doers now. With the advent of swimming lessons this July, we are now parents who live by their kid's schedule on a whole new level. We're easing into it—just one class this summer. But I know it won't be too long until my life resembles my brother's and sister's: soccer practice, baseball game, soccer game, school play, swim lesson, teacher's conference, etc. etc. etc.
In our little town, swim lessons are either taught at the city pool or the YMCA. We gambled on the Village People and the 70s decor at the Y for a month-long, twice weekly swim schedule. It's been a while since I sat on the side of a crystal blue rectangle—as either student or teacher—so I had completely forgotten what 2- and 3-year-olds learn in "class."
On the first day, I sat on the bleachers while David braved the water with Noah. It was the only lesson he could attend—Monday, July 5—due to his work schedule, so I was happy to let him get his feet wet in lieu of moi.
But it's been just Noah and me the rest of the run, with one more week left to go. What have we learned? Advanced stuff: Row Your Boat on your back, listen to the fishies with each ear, Twinkle Twinkle kicks, Wheels on the Bus scoops, and Itsy Bitsy spider splashing. And it's an especially exciting lesson when Noah "blows up the balloon in his chest" and then blows it out in the water.
I can only imagine what next year brings. Dare I say it? Going under?!
Seriously, it's been a hoot. This is probably the only structured activity that I'll get to do with Noah one-on-one, and it's been a treat to be up close and personal as he learns new tricks with a jubilant, "I did it!" each time. I think I'll take this "I'm a Little Teapot" experience all the way to the bank.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Listening to the fishies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Too sweet! It just gets more fun from here- I promise! Love that you get to sing Row Row Row your boat now, too!
Yet another reason I could never be a parent: I can't handle all that structure. My entire life has been more or less devoid of structure, and that would drive me crazy. I know a ton of parents whose lives revolve around their kids' schedules, and I could never do that. I can't even live by my own schedule! lol
Wow we never had such cool names to the things we learned in swim class. Sounds like it's been fun for Noah and Mommy!
Post a Comment