Friday, January 22, 2010

Swamp thing chili

A few weeks ago, this picture came chirping in on my cell phone:


Yep, that's exactly what I thought too: What IS that?! I knew David had gone on a hog hunt (boar, to be precise), but what he shot reminded me a great deal of the swamp creatures from Princess Bride.


Remember these little devils?

I wasn't sure what to make of the hog he had processed. In theory, I know it's pig, and there's not a form of ham, pork or bacon I don't like. But boar? What will it taste like if it hasn't been fed a careful concoction of slop and grains? And what about the fact that it doesn't look anything like those giant, pot-bellied creatures with blue ribbons at state fairs?

Turns out, boar is delicious! David had it processed into sausage and chops and whatever else the butcher came up with. A few weeks ago, we gave the sausage a whirl in a mammoth pot of chili. It was with great hesitancy that I tasted the sausage after it was cooked, and deemed it... fabulous! JUST like regular pork sausage.

And this beastly pot of chili was equally as fabulous. Wild boar, swamp thing, who knew?!

4 comments:

Randy Ebert said...

You are referring to the Rodents of Unusual Size, or RUS's, if I recall correctly. Nice.

JWilson said...

Ok lady you are way more brave than me. There is NO way I could have tried that after seeing what it looked like before.

Jen said...

I am not even sure that I need to post a comment here to let you know that it would be a cold day in ANYWHERE before I would eat that. Brave, brave lady.

Shauna said...

You should see my face...