Sunday, November 11, 2007

Noah the kid

I have known for months that Noah's Halloween costume choices were endless. I had access to numerous adorable baby costumes... a pumpkin each from Deanna and Auntie Jen, a cow and a lion (Auntie Jen again!), etc. Instead, I reveled a little at the chance to actually buy something for Noah.

We are blessed—and I mean BLESSED—that we have bought only a handful of things for Noah. Between Aunties, Grandmas and the generosity of friends, I just don't worry about his wardrobe.

So when it came time for Halloween, I thought okay, here's our chance to splurge a little! On our many Friday-night "date nights" at Wal-Mart (stop right there from laughing... there's not much of a shopping paradise in Mount Vernon), we would check out the selection, thinking this spider is cute; that doggie is sweet. We never bought anything. I'm not sure what we were waiting for, but Halloween crept ever closer and we still had no costume for our little guy.

The Friday before Halloween, I decided the situation was getting critical. I had to work late, so David agreed to make the trip to Halloween USA (or whatever the name of the store was... just one of those temporary shops). I got a call from him that made me nervous. "How do you feel about Yoda?" Oh dear. And then, "Wait, I've got it..."

And that was that. No hints.

Ten minutes later, David appeared at my office, greeting Noah with a bag containing the mysterious Halloween ensemble. I threw caution to the wind and looked inside. A goat. A goat? Yes, a goat.

I'm sure I must have looked dumbfounded. I couldn't even muster up excitement. I recovered a little when I examined the baby in the picture on the front of the bag. He looked pretty cute... really cute, actually. So I said, I'm sure Noah will make a great goat (GOAT?!).

I planned to work from home on Halloween, so I promised the ladies in the office to bring along the goat costume on Tuesday (the 30th). At lunchtime that day, I decided the time was right and proceeded to wrestle with Noah to get him squished into his gray and white fuzzy suit. Just to further torture the poor guy, I velcroed the hat (complete with horns) to his little head. I took a deep breath and gave him a good look over, and I declared him...adorable.

After all that worry, the dominant mommy gene got the best of me. I thought he was precious in his fuzzy, horned, hooved, hairy-chinned goat costume. I admit it, Noah could probably have worn a paper sack and I would have thought him worthy of Anne Geddes, but the goat costume... it was okay. Really okay. Leave it to David to realize how cute our little guy would be as a farm animal. Must be a guy thing.

And here his is... Noah the kid. :)

No comments: