Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday Photo Fiesta: When I see a little squirrel fly

Though I've never climbed out on our rooftop to look, I'm starting to think that at the entrance of our main chimney is posted a sign that reads, "All animals welcome" or perhaps "Animal YMCA."

If you recall, in August we had to rid our living room of a bat. I assumed at the time that we were done with uninvited creatures swooping, tiptoeing or otherwise traversing around our home, and that we could chalk that one up to experience and move on.

We all know what happens when we assume...

Last night David and I were snuggled on our respective cushy spots watching a DVRd Grey's Anatomy when I noticed that both my kitties were staring intently at our large fireplace mantle, both rapt at something. I decided to investigate and came up with nothing. Soon, the kitties gave up and moved on to other bugs.

It wasn't an hour later that a noise caught my attention and I turned my head toward the mantle just in time to see a flash of fur.


I said, "David, what IS that?!" Then all of the sudden, out popped a head. You should have heard me: "Is that a mouse? A rat? Oh Lord, let it not be a rat. Oh wait, is it a chipmunk? It looks like a chipmunk. What the heck is that?!"


David: "I think it's a flying squirrel! It IS. It's a flying squirrel. I've always wanted a flying squirrel as a pet."

Me: "You know, it is kind of cute. It's just sitting there, checkin' us out... Okay, but you've got to get it out."


It took us 30 minutes, minimum, to catch that tiny squirrel. Once again, we tried to employ the fishing net techinique, but that little bugger just popped right through the net's blocking and moved right about its business.


David was finally able to corner it using the net, a sturdy set of leather gloves and some gentle pressure. As I'm waiting for him to remove the squirrel, I unbelievably watch him start to PET the furry creature on its bitty head. And I think the squirrel liked it! So odd.


All well's that ends well: the squirrel was returned to the wilderness of our front yard safely, and my husband was on CLOUD NINE, calling the sighting/catching/releasing of the squirrel his greatest accomplishment since we welcomed Noah to the world. I'm serious. He said that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to climb on the roof and put up a "NO VACANCY" sign.

If you want to share your hair-raising stories, complete with Kodak moments, hike on over to Candid Carrie's. Just know that she has cats, in case you're allergic...



P.S. If you're wondering what the little squirrel had looked like when gliding (they technically don't "fly"), I borrowed this one from the WWW:

9 comments:

Wendy said...

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I want one!

Candid Carrie said...

We were just talking about flying squirrels this week.

We have oodles of them in our woods and although they don't technically fly, they do "glide" and I was explaining to my husband that I am pretty sure that is what I was meant to do ... launch and glide because I've got all this extra flesh.

I'll let you know how well that works out for me.

Your pictures are great. And while he is talking about this being his shining moment, you are thinking about your blog, right?

Teri said...

Isn't it incredible how we are always ready with the camera during a crises now that we have blogs? Always news worthy, that's what I saw.

Emily said...

Holy shit Tif, you handled that situation ver well. The last picture, the flying one, would have been one of those "last things you see before you die" things...

JWilson said...

I swear if I hadn't been to your house I would like you lived somewhere where no person had ever ventured before! :)

Shauna said...

That's crazy fun!! :) I like him. Let's name him Sammy. :)

Jen said...

Oh Tif-- I would be a mess. Not lovin' the animals. I love that you got the camera out to commemorate. That is awesome!

Sasha said...

Tif--that is too funny! I would have been totally freaking out. Thank goodness David was home to wrangle it outside to it's OWN home! :) I've never seen a flying squirrel--and hope I don't see one in MY living room anytime soon! :)

MissRebecca said...

Is it just me ... but I think it is cute:)

Granting it is not flying aroun MY house :P